Now hiring for a Festival Programs Coordinator!
Festival Programs Coordinator
Position Overview: The Festival Programs Coordinator is one of the public faces of Northwest Folklife and works closely with all of the communities and performers who support the work of the organization.
Festival Programs Coordinator assists in all duties related to scheduling, coordinating and producing performances, including the annual Northwest Folklife Festival held for four days (Friday through Monday) every Memorial Day weekend at the Seattle Center. In cooperation with other programming department staff, the coordinator will work closely with representatives from various communities to organize music and dance performances, panel discussions and workshops. The coordinator will arrange for performers’ technical and sound needs as well as help select appropriate MCs. This position will also assist in the coordination of the Seattle Children’s Festival with family programming as the area of focus. The Festival Programs Coordinator is an entry level position.
Responsibilities and General Duties:
- Maintain relationships and community outreach with current Community Coordinators as well as develop new relationships with communities of the Northwest
- Assist in the general programming of the Northwest Folklife Festival, including scheduling, coordination and production of performances
- Prepare written materials for Marketing department, including blog posts, Festival Guide copy, and reports
- Make focused outreach efforts to new communities of the Northwest, especially those not yet represented at the Northwest Folklife Festival
- Assist with advancing programmatic elements of the festival, in collaboration with the Production Department
- Manage communications that come through the Programming Office inbox
- Work with other Folklife departments to provide festival related materials
- Liaise with Community Coordinators to organize logistics around community performances
- Assist with the creation of Festival schedule as well as distribute the schedule for internal departmental needs
- Troubleshoot stage and programmatic issues during festival
Successful candidates for this position must demonstrate the following core competencies:
- Ability to build productive relationships in a high-performing, collaborative and multicultural environment
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with experience writing blog posts and marketing copy
- General working hours are 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. A flexible schedule is required for off-site events that may occur during evenings and weekends.
- Experience, interest and education in a wide variety of cultural performance traditions, such as music, dance, and storytelling.
- Level of experience comparable to the duties explained above (ideally 2+ years working in an festival programming and event production)
- Outreach work with ethnic, occupational, regional and other community groups
- Ability to work independently, while communicating progress to team
- Good communication and public relations skills
- Excellent attention to detail coupled with sensitivity to timelines and deadlines
- Excellent general office skills
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with database navigation
- Sensitivity to working with people from a variety of cultural backgrounds
Reports To: Programs Director
Part Time Entry Level Position: October 2, 2014 – June 19, 2014
Hours: 30-35 hours per week. *
* It is understood that March – May are peak months for Folklife and additional hours may be worked during this period of time. Scheduling will be negotiated with your supervisor.
Compensation: DOE, Inquire
To apply, please send an email with your resume and cover letter attached to firstname.lastname@example.org with Festival Programs Coordinator and your name in the subject line or by postal mail to Northwest Folklife attn: Festival Programs Coordinator Search, 305 Harrison St. Seattle, WA 98109-4623. All applications must be received by 5PM on September 15th, 2014.
No internships currently available, check back soon!