Friends of Folklife gathered for a good time at the Friend of Folklife Headquarters, meeting up with life-long friends and making new ones, at the 45th Folklife Festival. These convivial moments have inspired even more opportunities for Friends of Folklife to connect through music, arts, culture, and folklife.
‘Our Big Neighborhood’ Programs: North, East, and West Everyone Welcome!
Saturday, August 20:
- CHOMP! Dig Northwest Folklife’s multi-cultural programming at CHOMP! Marymoor Park: Halau Hula O Napualiani, Seattle Women’s Steel Pan Project, Rhythms of India, Anzanga Marimba Ensemble, and Ocheami. First 15 Friends of Folklife who ‘check in’ with your 2016 Friend of Folklife Button at the Folklife table at CHOMP! will receive a 2016 Festival T-Shirt.
- Cultural Arts Series It’s a casual evening of participatory Sound and Fury Morris dancing at Crossroads Bellevue’s excellent international food court, 6:30pm.
- Arts in Nature Festival at Camp Long in West Seattle, in partnership with Nature Consortium.
You are invited to Become a Friend of Folklife, and Thank You for being one! We hope to see you for these new adventures:
Friend of Folklife Meet Up!
Thursday, September 1 at 6pm – 9pm:
Axis Pioneer Square First Thursday – A Night for Folklife
Experience Axis Gallery’s new space with an original multimedia performance featuring Katie Kurkjy, Andrew D. B. Jolsyn, Daniel Blue of Motopony, and Tobias the Owl. First 15 Friends of Folklife who ‘check in’ will receive a 2016 Festival T-Shirt. Opportunities to join or renew as a Friend of Folklife will be presented.
Special Invitation to Folkstarter Friends of Folklife
ArtXchange Gallery Humaira Abid’s Artist Talk & Mingle
Sculptor Humaira Abid presents “From Ordinary to Extraordinary,” a talk about her inspiration and artistic process, situating her work in the context of feminism, international women’s issues, and the landscape of contemporary Pakistani artists. Abid turns, carves, and constructs in wood, combined with various mediums using great skill and detail. A selection of Abid’s work opens at ArtXchange Gallery on August 4 and is currently featured at the Tacoma Art Museum. E-vite coming soon to Folkstarters for this September get-together.
- October 1 & 2: Northwest Tea Festival will offer a special international tea tasting for Friends of Folklife. Participants pay regular $10 admission, and are invited to enjoy a special tea tasting.
- Sunday, October 9 from 10am-5pm: 3rd annual Seattle Children’s Festival at the Seattle Center. This multi-cultural, inter-generational festival will feature music, dance, activities, and exploration from around the globe. No admission charge, thanks to your donations.
- Saturday, November 12: Friends of Folklife meet the Clay Club: neighborly times with Pottery Northwest and Northwest Folklife. $10 for Friends and Clay Club.
All my best,
Friends’ philanthropy sustains Northwest Folklife and its 45-year tradition of celebrating our big neighborhood. The more we celebrate one another the better.
All Friends of Folklife are invited to enjoy the oasis of the Friends of Folklife Headquarters at the Northwest Folklife Festival on Memorial Day weekend in May, and receive the Festival Guide by mail prior to the Festival (please be sure we have your current address!)