Northwest Folklife’s Community Calendar brings together our greater community’s cultural events and gatherings.
- This event has passed.
Grand Opening: Indigenous Peoples’ Day
October 14, 2019 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Monday, October 14, is Indigenous Peoples’ Day in the City of Seattle and at the Burke Museum! There will be Indigenous performances, including UW groups, and opportunities to engage in conversation about the Burke’s collections throughout the day.
Throughout Grand Opening Weekend, the new Burke Yard outdoor space will be transformed into a festival with multicultural music and dance performances, family-friendly activities, and food trucks.
Learn more about Grand Opening and see our calendar for more events: http://bit.ly/2meCcgx
In honor of its collaborations with Indigenous communities, the Burke Museum invites all Indigenous peoples to see the new museum before it opens to the public at a free Indigenous Preview on Thursday, October 10, from 4–7 PM.
SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES
– Microscope investigations, coloring, and touchable objects
– Fossil rubbing and dino play
– Hidden Husky Scavenger Hunt: Find the huskies to win a temporary tattoo!
– Open Mic with Indigenous and Pacific communities
– Live art with artist Dozfy
– Ask questions with KUOW’s SoundQ’s. (Your question may be answered on one of their future programs!)
– Learn about the native plants in the New Burke landscaping with members of the Oxbow Farms & Conservation Center—the organization that cultivated over 70,000 plants from seedlings.
– Connect with Longhouse Media, an Indigenous media company, on their current and future projects.
– Carving and weaving demonstrations by local Indigenous and Pacific artists.
– Off the Rez / Native food / All day
– Sunrise Griddle /Breakfast / 10–2:30 pm
A Burke membership pays for itself in 3 visits to the museum. Not a member? Join today! http://bit.ly/2lyXm92
Book a timed ticket ahead of your visit:
– Advance timed tickets are offered every 60 minutes throughout the day. If advance tickets are still available, they will be listed at burkemuseum.org/tickets.
– Please arrive as close as possible to the entry time listed on your ticket. There is a lot to see and do at the Burke Museum, so we suggest allowing between 1 1/2 and 2 hours to make the most of your visit.
– Walk up admissions may be available on a first come, first served basis as museum capacity allows.
Grand Opening Event Volunteers
Ready to get involved with the Burke?
It’s an exciting time to volunteer at the Burke, and we need your help! Join us as we open our new museum to visitors during Grand Opening Weekend: October 11–14.
– Support the visitor experience and activities while having a blast as a Burke volunteer!
– Get a sneak peek of our amazing new building during event training (optional)
– Shifts are 4-4.5 hours on all event days; no further commitment required. Age 18+.
Apply today! http://bit.ly/2lTIKRH