Seattle Center Festál: Festival Sundiata Presents Black Arts Fest
Seattle Center Festál: Festival Sundiata Presents Black Arts Fest brings inspirational music, compelling art, spicy foods and other temptations to Seattle Center Armory, Mural Amphitheatre and Fisher Pavilion, 12 p.m. – 8 p.m., June 15, and 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., June 16.
Festival Sundiata explores the cultural roots and contemporary influences of African-Americans through live performances, hands-on activities, fashion and worldly gifts. Festival-goers are invited to join in African dance workshops, learn traditional drumming rhythms and take in the richness of black culture during a weekend filled with continuous entertainment.
One of the leading Black Arts showcases on the West Coast, the Festival is named for legendary 13th century King Sundiata of West Africa’s Mali Empire. In 2013, it features:
- Music: Kalimba the World’s #1 Earth, Wind and Fire tribute band;
- Food: four of the top food trucks in the Seattle area, along with the Roasted Corn stand – Jemil’s Creole Cuisine, Ezell’s, Best Chicken in the City, Papa Bois, Caribbean Menu and HP’s Smoke House BBQ, where the meat is falling off the bone;
- Ongoing entertainment on four stages: Armory, Mural Amphitheatre, Fisher rooftop and Armory West, which will concentrate on younger festival visitors;
- Art: Black Arts Exhibit 2013. Marita Dingus returns with her popular Doll making;
- Education: The Amazing American History exhibit, Education Expo, and the Northwest Black Quilters, which teaches quilt making on Saturday;
- Information: Various causes and a host of non-profit organizations;
- Shopping: a great line-up of vendors with one-of-a-kind gifts, clothes and confectionary goods;
- Special Events: The Show and Shine Car Show and 1,000 Black Fathers photo shoot (Sunday at 2 p.m.).
Seattle Center Festál, a series of 22 celebrations presented by community organizations with support from Seattle Center, considers themes of importance to ethnic cultures in our region, revealing their common forms of tradition and expression, while highlighting their unique contributions to the Pacific Northwest and the world.
Festival Sundiata – Black Arts Fest is produced in partnership with Sundiata African-American Cultural Association. For more information on Festival Sundiata – Black Arts Fest, visit festivalsundiata.org. Click on www.seattlecenter.com or call 206 684-7200 to learn more about Seattle Center Festál and other outstanding public programming offered at Seattle Center.
About Seattle Center Festál
Seattle Center Festál 2013 presents a series of 22 world festivals on weekends throughout the year highlighting the distinct cultures and common threads of ethnic communities in our region through traditional and contemporary art, music, foods, youth activities, workshops and more. This collection of cultural events is produced with the generous support of Coca-Cola, The Boeing Company, T-Mobile, Wells Fargo, Real Networks, and KUOW 94.9 Public Radio. Additional support is provided by 4Culture, Washington State Arts Commission and the City of Seattle.