Office and Volunteer Coordinator
Position Overview: The Office and Volunteer Coordinator has a key role in Northwest Folklife’s external relations and operational success. This position supports the office management and reception functions of the organization. Office coordination responsibilities include maintaining supplies, ensuring basic office equipment is in working order, and providing clerical assistance to various departments as directed. Reception duties include greeting visitors to the office and by phone and providing customer support, connecting them to Northwest Folklife’s programs and opportunities. Volunteer coordination responsibilities include the volunteer program for Northwest Folklife’s programs including the Northwest Folklife Festival as well as providing support for operational functions and events. The position recruits both individuals and groups of volunteers. Overall, this role is key to providing customer service to current and potential participants.
Office Coordination Duties –
- Maintain and streamline Northwest Folklife’s office systems and processes including phone lists, mail procedures, guest lists/RSVP tracking, scheduling meetings, as needed
- Ordering office and festival supplies including ERs and follow up, any returns, exchanges, and managing inventory
- Manage office machines including copier, phone system, etc.
- Provide basic IT support for office (ex: admin password user, reset modem, networking issues, conference call software troubleshooting) and via phone regarding public applications for volunteers, vendors, and performers issues
- Coordinate basic facilities management including cleaning rotation, cleaning supply management, making office presentable for meetings, hosting guests
- Coordinate printing support for the organization including ordering envelopes, postcards, collateral and ad hoc basic graphic and signage support
- Provide clerical support for Managing Director
- Provide occasional data-entry support for the development department
- Other duties as assigned
Volunteer Coordination Duties –
- Maintain, expand and streamline Northwest Folklife’s volunteer recruitment program with support from senior staff
- Create and maintain applications for volunteers via Marcato database, in consultation with various departments to determine and prioritize needs
- Create and distribute information regarding volunteer policies and procedures
- Monitor volunteers during their shifts to retain or replace candidates, confer with volunteers to resolve issues and promote cooperation and interest
- Manage communication between Folklife and its volunteers, in order to share news, progress, and available positions
- Coordinate volunteer recognition events including events at the Festival
- Oversee the Internship program for all departments including reporting hours to Accounting department and working with department leads to make sure learning objectives are met
- Procure donations for volunteer appreciation program
- Promote the organization, its volunteer efforts, and its accomplishments internally and externally
Skills and Qualifications:
- Demonstrated success in customer service and cultivating relationships
- Past volunteer coordination experience desirable
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Willingness and ability to learn new software, systems, and procedures; familiarity with office machines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Ability to prioritize and maintain a number of projects during busy times
- Ability to work under pressure with a positive attitude
- An understanding of or appreciation for Northwest Folklife’s mission
- Most work is performed in an office environment and access to the office is up three flights of stairs. There is no elevator to access the office building.
- This position will be required to lift, pull, and/or carry objects up to 25 lbs
Hours: 24 hours per week. *
* It is understood that April – June are peak months for Northwest Folklife Festival and additional hours may be worked during this period of time. Scheduling will be coordinated with your supervisor.
Compensation: $16 – $17.50 per hour
Reports To: Production & Operations Manager
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume by email as attachments to email@example.com with Office and Volunteer Coordinator and your name in the subject line or by postal mail to Northwest Folklife attn: Office and Volunteer Coordinator Search, 305 Harrison St. Seattle, WA 98109-4623. Applications open until position is filled.
Northwest Folklife Internship Program
Interning at Northwest Folklife can be the experience you need to gain a career in event planning, festival production, the music industry, nonprofit management, marketing, fundraising and a whole host of other fields. Interns take on a meaningful role in executing elements of the Northwest Folklife Festival, the largest community arts festival in the nation, and learn how to strengthen the sustainability of a non-profit organization.